Thursday, June 11, 2009

When it rains, it pours!!!

\Well sometimes no matter how long it has been since you have blogged (and mind you it has been a VERY long time) there is a story that just must be shared!

Background: For the summer I have been trying to get in better shape, and since I am fortunate to have time on my hands it seemed like it should really work out. Luckily I also have a very motivated 15 year old niece that has helped keep me on track. We have been running around 3-4 times a week. Well this week she was leaving for a family reunion but told me that I needed to still keep running or she would be better than me.

Experience: So being a good aunt and deciding to not be lazy I thought it was time to really challenge myself. I had already committed to taking care of their dog by putting it in each night and taking it out each morning. Since there house is a couple of miles away I decided I would run up, put the dog in and then run home. I talked myself into it, telling myself that if I got tired I could walk. Stepping outside I saw a large gray cloud in the sky and tiny little sprinkles of rain coming down. I figured it would be ok though and it wouldn't start pouring for a while....boy was I wrong! At about 1/2 a mile it started to rain and by 1 mile it was POURING! I decided that my only option was try to run faster so that I could make it to their house sooner. A nice man pulled over on the side of the road and asked me if I wanted a ride, it sounded really nice but I just couldn't give up my run. After I declined I realized I was in for quite the final mile. It just kept pouring and pouring and pouring. I just had to laugh. Finally I made it to the house and into the garage. Everything was dripping wet. I went to check the clock and was happy to see that I had actually ran at a decent pace for me. After finding a towel to dry off with I decided to see what the weather was like now and of course it had stopped raining, just my luck. While I knew that I could probably run I decided to take a bit safer route and ride one of their bikes. Yet my troubles weren't quite over I still had to battle puddles and tree limbs that I thought were high enough to duck under. Nope they weren't and I got a nice wet tree limb in the face hahaha!

Conclusion: Of course as they say "if you want to see the rainbow, you have to put up with the rain." Fortunately there was a beautiful full rainbow in the sky that I was able to run towards as I was getting poured on. Then as I road home on the bike I was able to splash through the puddles like a little kid with no worry about getting wet. There was also a beautiful sunset to marvel at. Also it gave me new resolve to reach out to others as I thought of that kind man who took a minute out of his day to offer me a ride. Overall it was a great experience that will give me a few chuckles in the years too come, and hey one more positive it may have brought me back into the blogging world!

This is sort or what it looked like :)

2 comments:

Jewls said...

Whit! Good for you to run even when it started raining! I probably would have taken the ride ;)! I love rainbows, how fun! We need to play sometime here in Utah County Land! :)

Kristy said...

You are a great aunt and a great dog watcher - thanks for running in the rain for us! You are wonderful!